Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Mondo Beyondo List

This is a list of my dreams... I scribbled for 10 minutes, then another 10 minutes... then went back and organized & typed them in.

Some are very strange to say out loud... some I may or may not actually want... I just wrote what came out!


Medical dreams: Work with Paul Farmer, work with Zanmi LaSante in Haiti, Work with the Peace Corps, Trade medical care for potatoes, Live above my medical practice, Create a BFC in rural Georgia, Empower people for their own healthcare, Think about better healthcare methods, Ride a horse and buggy to visit houses, Work with Atul Gawande, Go to med school in Boston, Be a doctor traveling on a boat, Work hard, long hours, Save lives, Make a difference, shadow a rural doc

Alternate careers (or complimentary?): Be a midwife, Be a doula, Advocate and educate for natural birth, own a pastry shop like in Stranger than Fiction, own a bed and breakfast, be a cake maker/ patisserie owner

Family dreams: Homeschool/unschool/waldorf-school the boys, Be a good priest's wife, Have another baby, Make baby clothes, Stay home with my babies for a year

Adventures with the boys: Climb trees, Build a treehouse, Have adventures, build a playhouse, decorate boys room with dreams

Home dreams: Live on a cliff near the ocean, Live on a farm, Raise chickens and cows, Live off our farm, Have my own small house as a study in the back yard, Live in Africa, Live in the mountains, bake bread daily, live in Montemarte live in an old farmhouse, completely restore an old farmhouse/victorian, Have Amish furniture, Live in Amish country, find a good town to live in, have a little girl, be pregnant again, have a homebirth, small comforts: A comfy study snuggle chair

Traveling dreams: Return to Senegal, Travel every year, Stay in a castle, Spend time in Chicago, Take the boys to Africa, take the boys to PAris, Sail down the Seine, Travel the world, stay in a convent, go on a meditative retreat, Visit Madeleine L'Engle 's home, Visit Prince Edward's Island,Travel the east coast, visit Maine, Go lobstering and fishing, have a real honeymoon--white sands, blue water, an island, travel Europe with David alone--maybe summer before med school, without the boys?

Crafting & creative dreams: Make a Senegal Fabric Dress, Make all our clothes, Create a storybook for boys, Write/illustrate an imaginative book and get it published, decorate shirts with stamps, learn to wood print, take a writing class, develop drawing skills, learn to watercolor, knit a sweater, sew a big-bed quilt, sew my own dress, sew a long dress, Learn to build furniture from an Amish person, Design my own letterpress stationery, Own a letterpress, design cards, decorate the space around me, make a home, blow glass, create art & frame it

Relationships: Create a better relationship with my sister & my whole family, Better relationship with David's family, Find a tribe of friends, Find a soul-friend, Make friends with kids our kids age, make friends, have coffee with Paul Farmer, Shadow Paul Farmer for a day, ask Paul Farmer to be my mentor, find a female rural doctor with kids mentor, strike up a friendship with Amanda Soule, Stay in contact with people I know, write thank you notes to everyone, Stay in touch, make regular coffee dates

Reading: Read Dostoevsky, Read more Russian writers, read letters written by authors

Simplify: Get rid of our computer in the home, Unplug, Line-dry everything, Get rid of cell phones, Build some furniture, Paint some furniture, have a simpler life, get rid of clutter

Appearance/fitness: Dress differently - Berkeley/natural fashion-conscious type-loose but well, Get in shape by walking, not running, Bike, don't drive, Swim regularly, Weight 140, Wear makeup daily, have dreads, an inspiring tatoo, Swim regularly in the ocean

Character: be nice, find a life mantra, learn to be cheesy and feely, learn to talk like an artist, find my true color

Church: find a real church with real community, find a place we can be ourselves with our doubts and questions

Kind things for others: Send care packages to people who are deployed, bake cookies & give them away, grow flowers & give them away, help my parents downsize, encourage david in his writing dreams, be positive and empowering, cook healthy meals for my grandparents for freezing

3 comments:

  1. Amber, I love these. God you have so many!!!! We live about 45 minutes outside of Amish country and though I have no desire to become Amish, I always find a sense of peace with this community.

    I see myself reflected in a lot of these, my goal is 140 too!!! 20 lbs down, 10 more to go!!!

    please keep posting on this......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you started a blog so you had a place to work through the lessons one by one ... I am so inspired right now to go back and do my lessons 'out loud' on my blog too - thanks for that : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great Mondo Beyondo list! How are you doing with it? I recently got mine out again and saw that things have started to happen.

    ReplyDelete